Monday 19 August 2013

Learn Crochet basics with Numidya - Videos-


I am neither an expect, nor am I a very experienced crocheter. I am a student myself, trying to learn and practise as much as possible when time permits.

I've written about the episode that brought me and the crochet hook together (here is a link).
I felt happy when dear sister of mine told me recently that she'd love to learn how to make dolls like Numidya. So, I thought why not? That inpired and motivated me to add this little entry to my blog, through which I'd like to share what I've learnt and provide resources that could possibly help you (the lovely people interested in learning crochet basics).
I hope this will be simple enough to get you started! 


To begin with, you need to practise two main aspects.


ONE: 
 Reading and getting familiar with the patterns (abbreviations, diagrams and symbols). These are very important, as most crocheters tend to find it easier to write/draw their patterns (on blogs, pages, websites..etc) rather than recording videos of how their projects were done.


These are the US patterns. The Uk ones have a slightly different name. 


TWO: 
Watching as many videos (on youtube) as you can. This is relevant in the sense that you'll get exposed to more than one way/method of explanation. You might find some demonstrations easier and quicker to understand and follow, compared to others. It also opens more chances for you to bump into something inspiring and motivated enough for you to take up the challenge.

For example, I used to follow instructions on videos by: Crochet Geek on youtube, (they're also found on Facebook and Instagram)
There are also patterns and wonderful ideas by:  Zen Crochet (Blog, Facebook and Instagram)
If you're interested in learning how to make little stuffed cuties you may want to type: Amigurumi on your search bars.  You'll be able to find loads of ideas on Pininterest, Facebook or Instagram, too.
I encourage you to check out OHOPshop (on Instagram and Facebook) they sell amazing dolls (the best I've seen so far).


All right! Let's get started, shall we?

The following videos demonstrate how to make a few basic stitches:

Chains and Slip stitch 



Single crochet stitch:





half double crochet stitch.




Double crochet stitch 





Treble or triple crochet stitch






A flat circle (a round base) 



A Bigger flat circle 



Bobble stitch



As for reading the patterns for example to make a little circle with single crochet stitches, this is what you may find:

Ch = Chain
sc= single crochet
st = stitch
sl st = slip stitch

Foundation: Make a magic loop (as in video step 6) and ch3
Round 1: 6 sc - around the loop, join with a sl st.
Round 2: 2 sc in each st - total 12 sc
Round 3: 2 sc in first st, 1 sc in the next - total 18 sc.

I hope this little drawing makes sense. 







No comments:

Post a Comment