Tuesday 27 August 2013

Braaj / Mella




Many families in East Algeria as well as the capital make these lozenge-shaped sweets to welcome Spring. My grand mother remained faithful to this tradition her entire life.



The idea is to make a sandwich with date paste and dough.

I use a mug, but you can use any measuring unit really.

So,

  • 3 mugs of Samolina (Medium) 
  • 1 mug ghee (if you don't have ghee you can sub with 1/2 oil 1/2 butter) 
  • A pinch of salt. 
  • Water 



Mixed the samolina and grease very well (rub between hands) and let it rest more a bit more than an hour.

Pour water in tiny bits while kneading and bring the mixture into a nice soft dough (it shouldn't be sticky)

I let it rest for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, work your date past.


Tip: I wet my hands with water while working the date paste to get softer and easy to mould and roll. 

The result: 

Dough and date paste





Split your dough into two equal pieces




Roll one piece into a flat disk




Roll your dates paste into a flat disk about the size of your 1st dough disk. 


Tip: in order for the date paste not to stick on the working counter, I roll it flat on foil. Then, when I flip it over on the flattened dough I peel off the foil. I put some oil on the aluminium foil before I start rolling because the paste tends to be quite sticky. 





Gently lay the dates on the dough




Roll the other piece of dough flat and place it on top of the date paste creating a sandwich. 

Tip: press the sandwich a bit by rolling the rolling pin on it so that everything sticks together. 




Cut the round sandwich into lozenges with a knife 




Tip: to pick up the lozenges from the counter, try sliding a knife an peel it off slowly so it wouldn't break. 

To get this result 





Grill both sides on a hot pan (no oil or butter added) all you need is to get a red/brown-sh colour on each side 



Bsahetkom - bon appetit Enjoy 

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment