Tuesday 13 August 2013

Popeye's kinda soup.


I learnt this recipe from my auntie Meriem in 2011. I always liked vegetable and legume soups, but I never knew about spinach one. At first, I didn't know whether I'd like it or not. It was one of Ramadan's days when I called my auntie to have some ideas on what to fix for supper. She suggested spinach soup, insisting that it was delicious. I didn't know how it was prepared, so she gave me the recipe, and came over to check the results. 



This soup is very healthy for anemic individuals as it consists of a lot of spinach, which is rich in iron. It also has potatoes, which contain complex carbohydrates that are considered to be better than simple carbohydrates, in the sense that, the simple carbs found in food, such as, sugar and biscuits boost the energy for a short while then it drops dramatically cause more hunger pangs. whereas, the complex carbs have a long lasting effect on energy and avoid binge-eating. 

Potatoes are rich in potassium and magnesium. Much vitamin B -which is good for arteries and cardiovascular diseases-  and iron are found in them, too. 
Moreover, this root is also discovered to be a good contributor in lowering blood pressure and they, also, help reduce stress. 



chopped some dill on top to give it more flavour
Parsley would be another good option



So, here is a summary of the recipe:


  • 2 or 3 medium potatoes - peeled, diced and brought to a boil. 
  • A nice portion of spinach (if you get fresh ones, then you might need to wash them clean, chop them and cook them in a frying pan. just in a little bit of olive oil) 


> Once the potatoes are boiled, blend them, add the cooked spinach, blend more to mix everything.
You may want to dilute the mixture if it's too thick, add milk, and a little bit of water until you get the preferred consistency.


  • Add grated cheese of your choice, 
  • I also love to chop boiled eggs and add them to soups. If I have none, I'd just add boiled vermicelli or some cooked and diced chicken breast.


If you're interested in checking a few more soup recipes and ideas, you might want to click here to pop in to Gourmandise blog.

Bsahetkom (Algerian for : Bon appetit/enjoy) 


xx



No comments:

Post a Comment