Wednesday 14 August 2013

Baghreer (Thighrifine) for the afternoon.




Berbers LOVE samolina. Most of our traditional dishes are made of samolina, the rest consist of vegetables and legumes. (and no, we  eat neither rice nor Couscous everyday, our dishes are varied, but samolina's gotta be there whatever form it can take, let it be in Baghreer form today, mmm)



I had an interesting life episode once in which a lady from Babylon-land tried our Berber Baghreer. It was the first time for her to taste anything from Algeria, and since she wasn't familiar with the dish, she gave a pretty interesting reaction. I don't know whether she liked it or not, because at first she criticised a few things, and then she asked me for the recipe so that she could make it at home! so, I'm guessing she liked it, but didn't know how to express it, let's be positive. 


Adding to the fact that she waved off the name of the dish, calling it "pankcakes" despite me insisting on teaching the original name of the dish, she said a few more things, such as "you put olive oil and sugar in it!! it's not right, you can't do that" 
I stepped back of the scenario to reflect upon that last bit "you can't do that", and the only question that kept on itching my mind was: "why not?" 

I mean, is there a "right" way of eating pancakes? let alone Baghreer, which she never had. 

Our Amazigh/Berber traditional ways of consuming Baghreer are varied from city to city. Most people would eat Baghreer with a homemade syrup in Algiers, for example. 
In other regions it's eaten with honey. My relatives eat it with sugar sprinkled on it, or with just olive oil. My in-laws, as well as I, have Baghreer with olive oil and sugar on top, roll it and bite! 


So as far as I know when it comes to eating, it's a matter of taste and traditions rather than "right" or "wrong".






Baghreer is a dish many Algerian like ot have for breakfast on special occasion. Other individuals have some traditional seasons during which it is made. And other, such as my family, just make Baghreer when we miss it. For us, it's a meal we have for lunch or seldom for dinner.

Click here to find the detailed recipe - This will take you to the Gourmandise blog where I post recipes signed Za.
You should also be able to find a short video of a the hole forming on the Baghreer during cooking.


Bsahetkom! :) (Algerian for: Bon appetit/enjoy)


No comments:

Post a Comment